NZLocums is the only organisation in New Zealand providing a comprehensive orientation course tailor-made for internationally trained doctors who are coming to work in New Zealand. This is a three day course which runs monthly and is held in the NZLocums' office in Wellington. All doctors who are coming from overseas are encouraged to attend before starting work. This course is CME accredited by the Royal New Zealand College of General Practitioners.
The orientation course includes presentations on a wide range of the New Zealand health system.
The selection of topics covered includes:
- Introduction to general practice in New Zealand
- ACC (New Zealand's no-fault accident cover for NZ residents and visitors to New Zealand)
- Overview of contract, payment and invoicing process for locums
- Resuscitation workshop
- PHARMAC session (Pharmaceutical Management Agency of NZ)
- Tax session
- Work and Income - What is Work and Income and how does this system affect GPs?
- Medical Protection Society background
- Medical Council of New Zealand interview
- Open bank account, if required
- Medtech32 training (New Zealand's main patient information system)
- Maori cultural museum tour
Accommodation for your stay in Wellington can be arranged through us.
There are many things in Wellington to entertain your family whilst you are attending the course - all located within a short stroll from your hotel:
Te Papa, NZ's national museum
The Museum of Wellington City and Sea
Wellington's Botanical Gardens
Current and upcoming special attractions
Orientation to a new practice
Once you arrive at a new practice, it is expected that you will receive a practice-specific orientation to get to know the local set up and team.